OBDA Meeting Notes
Wednesday, August 8, 2018
Lake Oswego High School
Jeff Hornick- Thanked everyone for being here. Passing reigns to Michael.
Michael- Thanked Jeff for his service.
Reading of the January meeting minutes- Michael
No voting today. We will do our voting at the January meeting.
Motion made to approve the minutes- Approved.
Email from Mary Lou Boderman: OSAA new people are KT Emerson and Kelly Foster. Recommended to host a meeting on State In-service day in Salem to meet with KT at Sprague HS in Salem. Friday October 12th 3:30-5 Michael asked for a show of hands for anyone interested. Only a few hands went up. He will relay that to Mary Lou.
An email was sent out from Michael sent a few weeks back with agenda. Has always thought of OBDA as a sleeping giant. Have not done much over the past few years. This agenda is a step in that direction. At lunch OBDA was discussed by board members and was interesting and disheartening. Not much motivation by members to do much. He will be changing this.
MS Lit list- Laura Arthur.
In March/April she made a list of MS directors from each OMEA districts. 10 years of experience plus retired directors and sent them a Google form to get I info about great MS music. Asked for more than just composer and title. Specific reasons for inclusion on the list. She wants it to be a resource that was easy to reference. Half of those contacted responded with a total of around100 pieces, half said they were too busy to do it. She would like to now send it to the membership. Wants stuff that works. Lower grades focused. Noelle asked if the link could be shared with other reputable directors and she said yes. She will be sending that via Noelle to send to the membership.
Request that we create an OBDA FAQ sheet. What does OBDA do? Etc….. Ben Lawson put one together and we emailed it out last week.
Review of the bylaws needs to be done for vote in January. How they compare with OMEA, officer titles, and such.
OBDA Mentor Program- Michael
Jane F. did this years ago and it did not continue to anyone new. He will be the clearing house for mentors. If you have the expertise, knowledge and desire to help contact Michael and he will evaluate and get a list available on the website. Jennifer brought up that people might not actively seek out the help. Michael said feel free to send info of anyone who you believe needs a mentor to him. It was brought up that the Board of Directors positions would be in a good position to do this.
OBDA Lit List Update
Suggestions for additions or changes should be sent to Michael. Stewart? Not sure his involvement. Chuck needs to be meet with. Dave Sime as well.
Proposal to split Portland Metro area Board of Director area in half. Board needs to discuss and we will vote on that. You will be getting emails to discuss.
Membership- Noelle If you would like to renew or join see me or use the website and paypal to do so.
Commissions on the regular- Mandy Mullett
It was suggested that we try to do this every 2 years or so…… Jazz too…. Buy in was high so OBDA may not need to put in much to keep this happening.
Pizza party has not happened in years. OBDA bylaws state that we need to meet at All State. Host a lunch at reading session?? Incentive to get more people here for a meeting was expressed. We need more people. Use to do a sit down dinner at All-State (over 15 years ago).
Contact: Michael said to contact him with anything.
Comments are closed.